Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Start of Something New

I was listening to my summer playlist the other day and apparently I associate High School Musical with summer... anyways. Lots of HSM playing (with me singing along every now and then).
I am so excited for this summer! Lots of fun plans ahead! My first job ever, taking classes I'm excited for, a visit from my sister, hanging out with friends, meeting a new ward, having my first apartment. Lots going on out here in Provo.
Flying back to the MOUNTAINS!!
So remember this post about me and Angela getting our first apartment? Well I guess it didn't really sink in then. WE GOT OUR FIRST APARTMENT. Moving in was craziness. But I'm here. And I am now a whole month into spring term. again, craziness. Here are the sections of my current life.
The Apartment.
Let me introduce you to our lovely little place. We have a living room, dining area, and kitchen (oh I miss lots of counter space back home!). Then you enter the bedroom hallway - two bathrooms, one long sink area, and three bedrooms. In the back we have our random storage room that includes a second freezer. It's nice for the price, and (at least for now) it's home. It's super close to campus which is a definite bonus. The complex is a little older, but it's all right. We just got a new dishwasher and Angela needed a new mattress. But nothing else is falling apart too badly...except the front blinds.
The Roommates.
There are 6 girls in the apartment currently. Katie (my roommate) is engaged so I don't see her a ton. Mindy (Angela's roommate) is a senior majoring in Art History who is tons of fun and likes to make cupcakes. Christa and Lauren (Law-ren, not Lo-ren) are roommates from Heritage last year who are both crazy busy with school and work. It seems to be going pretty well so far.
The Job.
Work is...interesting. I work clear on the other side of campus at the big gray conference building. We don't have a ton of actual work to do right now, so basically I'm paid to do homework and watch TV shows. and update my blog... if I ever did that at work. It's a mile to work and a mile home, which means I'm getting my exercise. Once it gets hot (and it's getting REALLY hot) that'll be difficult so I'm currently researching bus pass options... look at me being a big girl. 
The Class.
School is fascinating. I am in a class called Intro to Non-Profit Organizations and absolutely love it! I am strongly considering doing a non-profit management minor. I'm learning a lot and really enjoy the class...too bad it isn't a major.
The Service.
I'm also a Program Director for the Utah Healing Arts program through the Center for Service and Learning here at BYU. It's awesome! I love that BYU provides so many service opportunities for everyone! It has been an adventure scheduling events and learning to run one of these programs, but I have been learning tons and met so many new people through it! Basically we go and sing in nursing and rehab centers to spread cheer. So much fun!!
The Food.
All those things I told myself about cooking a great meal every night. Yeah that didn't happen. For example our first meal in the apartment was chicken noodle soup. yum. I miss having a car so I can go get groceries. Thank goodness for awesome friends and family members who are willing to help out!


Lila's Chicken. another favorite.
The Fun.
- eaten at SLAB pizza. sooooo good.
- hang out with Skyler, Adam, and Victor, some old ward friends who live across the street.
- game night with Angela's brother and his friends.
- a trip with my aunt up to Heber for a scenic drive and dinner.
the mountains up in Heber
- pizza and frozen yogurt night with old ward friends.
- doctor's visit for ongoing cold and flu symptoms. I've been sick on and off since the start of spring term, but at least I haven't ended up in the ER yet.
- went to a missionary open house for our friend Alex and stayed there until 1 in the morning. man I love our freshman ward.
so much fun to be with these people. Alex you are going to be one fantastic missionary!
back row: Mark, Francis, Harrison, Alex, Derrick, Will
front row: Marissa, Christina, Sydney, Alex, me
with the crazy dog...
- read a book for pleasure. I have time and a couch. great combination.
- cooked meals for various dinner groups. chicken and broccoli stir fry is a definite favorite.
- spent a Saturday with my aunt and uncle and their family. got a new phone and new shoes which was a definite bonus. and delicious snow cones. yum!
snow cones!
- writing to missionaries who have entered, will enter, or are entering the MTC.
- got wireless Internet set up for our apartment. soooo nice to have wireless again.
- meeting new ward people including my Relief Society president and home teachers.

And to end... a great quote by one of my missionary friends:
"A smile can say a thousand words in any language. 
You can't fake a smile."
that kid is going to be a General Authority one day. I'm sure of it.

Life is pretty darn good right now. Summertime here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment