Tuesday, January 15, 2013

absolute truth

On Sunday, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf came to the Marriott Center to give a CES Fireside. 
It was amazing. I absolutely love that man.

I went right after church to stand in line outside the Marriott until the doors opened.
Which means I was out in the cold for about an hour and a half. I froze myself stiff.
But it was completely worth it.
I saved seats for some of my friends, and we all listened to President Uchtdorf together. It was wonderful.

Some key points that stood out from his address: you can watch it here

  • Truth can only be found through one's efforts and through divine inspiration.
  • Absolute truth exists far beyond simple belief; the truth will forever be true, even if no one believes it.
  • We don't just have the opportunity, but the obligation to personally discover the truth.
  • Just because we have the gospel, that doesn't mean we know everything. The Church was restored because a young man asked a question.
  • Coming to know the truth brings greater tolerance, patience, and humility, as well as a far greater capacity to accept our Heavenly Father's will for us.
There are lots of things I don't know, like how fast an ice cube melts or what tomorrow's sunrise will bring.  I don't know why hard things happen to righteous people. I don't know what I am supposed to do with the rest of my life. I don't know why I am here at this very moment.

Despite not knowing those things, there are a few truths that I know without a doubt:

My Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ, love me.
I know that Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. As I put my hand in His, He will guide me back home.
I know that my Redeemer lives!
I know that no matter how badly I mess up or how much pain I am feeling, my Savior understands each and every emotion that I feel. Christ died for me, personally, and He wants to help me return to my Heavenly Father.
With the help of the Lord, I can conquer anything.
And that is one of the greatest, most comforting truths I know.

One day, all of my questions will be answered. I might even know just how long it takes that silly little ice cube to melt. But for now, I am so grateful for the testimony and knowledge that I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment