Saturday, December 22, 2012

happy heart day

[day twenty-six]
my heart

If you're reading this blog, you probably know by now that I have had a heart transplant.
Three, actually.
Today marks five years since my third heart transplant.

To celebrate, I went grocery shopping with Hayley and John, watched a movie, and talked to a few friends. I spent most of the day in an introspective mood, looking at some old blog posts, studying my scriptures, and reading my journal a bit.

I cannot fully express my gratitude to the donor family. I would not be here today if it weren't for their gift of a brand new heart. I am so grateful for the life I have been able to live because of this selfless gift. I hope to someday meet these people and their families so I can attempt to express my love and gratitude for them. 

Given the fact that I was way more adorable after my first heart transplant, enjoy this picture. It's one of my favorites; I'm 18 months old.
For all the horrifying photographs documenting the awkward stages of my life [aka after the third transplant], please click here

Thank you to every single one of you as well. I know that it is also because of your faith, prayers, and fasting that I am here today. I am so grateful for the support each of you have given me over the past nineteen years of my life.


And now for one little request:
Find out if you're an organ donor. If you're not, find out why. Some basic Google searches will show you plenty of research and fact sheets about being an organ donor. 

Become an organ donor if you can. 
You can even show it on your Facebook timeline:


You could end up saving someone's life.
Like mine.

I am so grateful for the modern miracles of medicine. I am grateful to have a body that functions [for the most part] normally. 

But most of all, I am thankful for the beating of my heart throughout each minute of every day.
It's a wonderful feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I am and have been for years because of you. I love you and am grateful for you and the awesome person you are. I am also grateful for 3 people that donated a hearts to you. They gave you a very special gift.

    ReplyDelete