Wednesday, December 26, 2012

thirteenth day of Christmas

"Because it's Christmas, I've been thinking more than usual about what you taught me,
about how God sent His Son to be born in a manger, to live, to teach, to die, and to be born again, resurrected, for us
I know that's true.

I've been thinking about how I used to count down to the big day. 
We would try so hard to think of Jesus, but we knew the traps
We knew the meaning of Christmas had become lost in the ripped wrapping paper on the floor. 

So we try to remember Him
On Christmas Eve, Dad would read His story from Luke in the New Testament. 
We felt good about ourselves that we'd worked so hard to remember that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.

Then what?

On December 26th we return the clothes that didn't fit, and we begin to put Christmas 
back in the box.
In the basement. 
Or by the curb. 
We mark the day off the calendar and prepare for the next holiday and the chance to ring in the new year. 

What a shame that the day after Christmas 
just might be the least memorable day of the year.

I've learned that it doesn't matter 
how I'm living my life today, or tomorrow, or on Christmas Day, 
or how much I remember Him and His birth, 
if I don't wake up a different man on December 26.

Isn't that what He wants?

Not to simply celebrate Jesus' birth on one day, 
but to celebrate His life by living like Him the other 364?

Do we workshop the infant for a day, but not the man and His teachings all year long?
Do we put Him away with the decorations?

Or do we try to be more like Him?

That's my Christmas gift to you. I hope you get this by Christmas, but if you don't, think of me on the day after.
Now that I've reread this letter, I'd say December 26 might be my new favorite day of the year. 
I guess you could call that the 13th Day of Christmas.

Please enjoy my gift. It's the most valuable thing I have: 
December 26th."


"The 13th Day of Christmas" by Jason F. Wright, pages 235-236.

No comments:

Post a Comment