Friday, June 28, 2013

nerding out

I'm kind of a nerd, and I'm completely fine with that.
Besides, being a nerd is totally awesome.
For now, there are two things that I really get nerdy about: my job and movies.

my job.
I have this job as a research assistant for a database of European documents.
That means I not only am increasing my knowledge for future school-related items, but it also means I really really love my job.
I spend several hours a day [except sunday] looking at documents about different European nations.
I am learning to identify different languages, as well as attempting to actually understand them without the help of Google Translate.
Google Translate is my best friend when it comes to Ukrainian and Russian, though.
I dig through the Internet for digitized documents online.
Which means I spend hours just looking at incredible old documents.
     Like old nuclear safety pamphlets from the United Kingdom.
     Or pictures of old Flemish seals.
     Or old Norse tales of Viking conquest.
     SO COOL.
Basically, I absolutely love my job.
I am blessed beyond measure to not only have this job, but to also have a job that directly applies to my major.
And that I just happen to really love the material.

movies.
I am quite the introvert when it comes to a social life. nerd alert.
That doesn't mean I spend all my time inside my cave only coming out to eat.
It just means that I have only a few good friends that I spend most of my time with. And I am just fine with that.
The people I do spend time with [occasionally] nerd out with me.
Especially when we're watching movies.
     Like having your mind blown by the ending of the second Sherlock movie.
     Or getting chills from how Wreck-it Ralph is completely brilliant.
     Or when you find out that the voice of Minion in Megamind is also Crane in Kung Fu Panda.
     Or how incredible the animation and visual effects are in the latest Pixar film.
     Or shouting out "You shall not pass!" right along with Gandalf. And everyone else in the room.
The best part is when you can incorporate movie quotes right into your daily conversation.
Dinner with my friends is quite entertaining.
Plus, movies are just a great way to take a break, relax, and escape from reality for a short while.


My family members and most of my friends will probably never quite understand what exactly I love about these things.
They're missing out.  in my opinion.

I just have one bit of advice for you all:
Find something you love. 
Then don't ever be afraid to share that passion with anyone and everyone.
They'll love you for it. Promise.

And this has no relevance, but I saw it the other day and couldn't stop laughing:

My life is a romantic comedy.
Except without any romance and it's just me laughing at my own jokes.

Life is pretty fantastic and hilarious.
Enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment