Monday, September 10, 2012

story of my life

so the shoulder pain didn't go away this weekend. surprise, surprise.

The docs wanted me to come back in for yet another echo and ECG. After an exam, my transplant doctor decided to admit me for overnight observation. Tomorrow I have a heart cath (biopsy) to check out my coronaries and if there's any rejection.


What we know so far:
the echo from last week showed what might be a bit of pericardial fluid (I think I spelled that right) which is one of the signs of rejection*. which can also cause pain.

What we have no idea about:
everything else. everyone is pretty bewildered.

The current plan:
Spend the night in a hospital and have a heart cath tomorrow.

The bright side:
There haven't been orders to start an IV. I can see mountains out of the room. I have a private room with a large bathroom and shower.

a room with a view. lovely.
*rejection: organ transplant patients must take medication that suppresses the immune system. otherwise, the body will recognize the transplanted organ as a foreign body and try to attack it. at times the body attacks the organ for inexplicable reasons and dosages need to be adjusted.

So we have some ideas. Which is better than absolutely nothing. Still, my health continues to mystify me, my doctors, and everyone else. oh well. that's just life I guess.

The rest of the day will be spent with homework and sleep. And nurses and doctors. And keeping my family updated on what's going on. Thrilling.

Thanks for your love and prayers!! Have a fantastic Monday (SMILE!) and I will keep you all updated as this goes on.

3 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME!!!! I sure hope that pain turns out to be a bad case of gas or something insignificant. You have the best attitude! (Love your Cannon Beach pictures! Makes me miss it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lauren praying for you that they will figure this out quickly. And that it will be a simple fix. lots of love, Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredibly positive throughout everything that you have been through! I look up to you, and your wonderful example. I hope that everything goes well, and that it is nothing major! I will be praying for you! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete