Friday, September 7, 2012

the waiting game

On Monday evening I developed a sharp pain in my left shoulder. Thinking it was a pulled muscle, I thought nothing of it. But the pain had not diminished by Wednesday morning.

For most people, shoulder pain is no big deal. The last time I had pain in my left shoulder, however, I ended up having severe blockages in my coronary arteries. The last time I had inexplicable pain I ended up having another bout of cancer. So for me, pain that doesn't go away is kind of a concern.

After talking with my mom and the transplant team up in Salt Lake, we decided I needed to go to the ER up at Primary Children's. One of my [amazing] friends was able to drive me there and ended up staying to see the results of all the testing.

After having labs drawn, getting an IV started, flushing fluids into me, having a chest x-ray, echo, and ECG, we waited for about an hour and a half before the results came back.
Results: everything checked out perfectly. of course. So they sent me home.

We still don't know what the pain is. If it's still there on Monday I will be heading back up to Salt Lake for a biopsy and possibly other tests to see what's going on. And so we keep on waiting...
this post needed something brighter.
no worries.
A few thoughts from the day:
  • I have the greatest friends ever. I couldn't ask for better people. 
  • I am so grateful for the power of the Priesthood. I wouldn't be here today without the blessings I have been given so often.
  • Country music is the best thing ever. I particularly love this song right now.
  • Modern medicine is absolutely incredible. Even if it can't figure out everything.
  • I'm 99% positive I don't want to study medicine.
  • I love Utah. I love the mountains. I love being at BYU. I love that the weather is cooling off.
Life is pretty great right now. 
relatively speaking...

No comments:

Post a Comment