Friday, October 12, 2012

general conference

I love General Conference. 
I get (almost) as excited for conference weekend as I do for Christmas. seriously.
I love that I get to listen to the words of living prophets and apostles.
I love the music. I love the hymns, listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and feeling the peace those songs bring.
I love that I get to spend an entire weekend completely focused on the gospel and spending time with family and friends.
I love that there is always something that touches my heart and inspires me to try a little harder to be a little better (President Hinckley).

the weekend schedule:
Hayley, John, and I left early Saturday morning and spent the day at John's parents' house (his mom was my Young Women's president). Always a blast to see them! Before Priesthood session, Hayley and I headed over to her grandparents' house and spent the night there. Sunday morning we went to Hayley's aunt's for breakfast and the morning session. Then Hayley dropped me off at Greg and Wendy's for the rest of the day. I got to play with little kids, experienced my first walk about (like a neighborhood linger longer almost), and ate delicious food. It was an amazing weekend!
I love to see the temple.
photo courtesy of this girl
In case you didn't hear, President Monson announced at the first session of conference that there are new age requirements for missionaries; young men can serve at age eighteen, and girls can now serve at age nineteen. 
For more on this change, please read this article about the new age requirement for missionary service.

I am still a little bit in shock from the announcement made to lower the missionary age. But I am beyond excited about it as well!! I have some dear friends who cannot wait for the opportunity to serve a mission earlier than anticipated.

This is such an exciting time to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church is stronger than ever and continues to grow. I am blown away by how incredible the youth of the Church are and just how much is expected of them. The Lord works in funny ways sometimes, but when we trust in His timing, amazing things happen. Prayers are answered. There is no doubt about that. Nothing is going to stop this work from moving forward.

It's pretty awesome (and slightly daunting) to be a part of it all.

so for the big question:
I do not know at this time if I will be serving a mission.
I still have some big decisions ahead.
thank goodness I have the Lord's help with all of this.

some quotes and thoughts from General Conference that touched me:

  • "Ask the missionaries. They can help you!" Elder Russell M. Nelson
  • "the desire to serve is a natural effect of conversion" Elder Russell M. Nelson
  • "The regrets of tomorrow are prevented by following Christ today." President Dieter F. Uchtdorf 
  • "We cannot be complaining when it comes to discipleship; we are capable of so much more." President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
  • "We must help the principles of the gospel endure through the constant change of the world." Elder L. Tom Perry
  • "Service is the very definition of pure religion." Elder M. Russell Ballard
  • "The Lord's delays can seem long, but they are calculated to bless us." President Henry B. Eyring
  • "First observe, then serve." Sister Linda K. Burton
  • "We have a life of devoted discipleship to give. We cannot quit or ever go back." Elder Jeffery R. Holland
  • "When we follow Christ, He will give us abilities outside of our comfort zone." Elder Robert D. Hales
  • "Knowing the gospel is true is the essence of testimony. Living the truth of the gospel is the essence of conversion." Elder David A. Bednar
  • "Every man eventually is backed up to the wall of faith, and there he must make his stand." President Ezra Taft Benson quoted by Elder Neil L. Andersen
this quote from Priesthood session I found absolutely adorable:
"Every woman deserves to be told she is beautiful." President Thomas S. Monson

Sister Ann M. Dibb's talk in Saturday Morning session
music that I just loved:
If The Savior Stood Beside Me
Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy
Does the Journey Seem Long?
If The Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not

I am inspired by the words I heard and the Spirit I felt. I know this gospel is true. I cannot wait to become even better than I was before conference. I love this Church. I love my Savior and Heavenly Father, and I am grateful to them that I have the gospel in my life. I am excited to see what the next few months hold as we prepare for the next conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment