Sunday, July 8, 2012

season of farewells

One of the best parts about being in Provo during summer is how many farewells I am able to attend. The guys I met in my freshman ward, in my classes, and just randomly on campus are some of the most incredible people I know. And to see them get ready to go and serve a mission is just amazing. I am so excited for each and every one of them! They are going to change people's lives as much as they have changed mine.

Nick is heading to Chile Santiago North. His parents just returned from being mission presidents, so they gave a homecoming talk, and Nick gave his farewell. It was an awesome meeting! There was a beautiful musical number of "Consider the Lilies" (one of my favorite songs) with piano, cello, and viola. Absolutely gorgeous.
One thing all three of these speakers brought up was "la estándar de excelencia," or standard of excellence. Each companionship was expected to attain certain levels of excellence each week, such as bringing at least five investigators to church each week. Hearing the three speakers bring this up continually made me wonder. Am I living up to my own standard of excellence? What is my standard of excellence?

Mike is going to Chile Viña del Mar. He gave an excellent talk about faith. One of the great things about this church is that no matter how many times you learn about a certain topic, there is always more to discover. One quote shared during the meeting really stuck out to me: "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen." Ralph Waldo Emerson We live in a beautiful world that Heavenly Father created just for us. Seeing the mountains every time I walk out the door is just a simple reminder to me that my Heavenly Father is watching over me.
After the farewell, we went over to Mike's house to talk and enjoy some food. I love the friends I made during freshman year. I always have such a great time just talking with them, and I am so blessed to know them all.
Angela, Mike, Jeff, Mike (who gave the farewell), Brooke, Alec, Skyler, and me
I know this Church is true. I know my Savior loves me. I know the Book of Mormon is true and brings power into your life when you read it diligently. I know our Heavenly Father wants to bless us and does when we do what He asks of us. I once heard the phrase "If the Church wasn't true, a bunch of 19-year-old boys would have ruined it a long time ago." I know that the missionary program our Church has is inspired, and I know these amazing guys are going to become even better because of their experiences. I am so excited for each and every one of them, and I hope that I am able to share my love for this gospel with others.

Going into this week, think of one thing you can do better and DO IT. Set your own standard of excellence and hold yourself to it. I will be doing the same.

I love this song. "Come See the Light" sung by Freddie Ashby. The video and music put together is so powerful. I absolutely love it, and I'm sure you will as well.


Have a fantastic week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment