Wednesday, November 7, 2012

a political post of sorts

united states of america

I am incredibly grateful to live in this country.
The Founding Fathers are just a few of my heroes. They sacrificed so much to build the United States. I am grateful for their foresight and leadership in creating our nation.
The Constitution is incredible. The authors of that document were, without a doubt, inspired by our Heavenly Father.
I love the First Amendment, for that freedom of religion granted to all in this nation allowed the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to come to pass.
I am grateful to live in a nation where I have the right to vote for my leaders. I am grateful for the educational opportunities that are available. I am grateful to those who have sacrificed everything, even their lives, to protect this country. I am grateful for the rights I enjoy, for many in the world cannot live each day as I do. 

via
now if you all will humor me for a moment.

Here in the United States of America, we enjoy so many privileges. 
However, we often view those privileges as basic rights that are taken for granted. 
We aren't actively involved in our local government. We don't raise our voices against issues we have opinions about. We say our words without thinking of the consequences. When major problems arise, we place the responsibility on the heads of our government and expect them to find solutions and fix the predicament. 

It just doesn't work like that. As Americans, we simply cannot expect the government to take care of every part of our lives. We need to take responsibility for our own actions. We need to stand up for what we believe in. We need to be informed on the issues the country is facing. We need to be involved in our communities.
We elected our leaders; now we need to help them out.
I heard this the other day and found it rather thought-provoking:

Long story short: we need to do our part to help our president, governors, mayors, and other leaders to fix the problems that the United States faces. It's our responsibility as citizens of this great country.

While I may not believe in a certain leader's policies or ideals, I do believe in my country.
And we have great things in store for us.

#goamerica

And that's about as political I will ever be.

1 comment: