Sunday, November 11, 2012

happy sunday

Christ's Atonement

Recently I have been reading "The Infinite Atonement" by Elder Tad R. Callister. It has been an eye-opening experience as I have more fully studied the atoning sacrifice of my Savior.

I know Jesus Christ not only atoned for my sins, but he suffered each pain, sickness, and emotion that I will ever experience. He knows exactly what I am going through. My knowledge of that simple fact has carried me through countless trials. Because I know my Savior was willing to endure so much pain simply for my sake, I know without a doubt that He truly loves me. Even with all my mistakes and imperfections, Christ and my Heavenly Father love me enough to have provided a way for me to return to live with them someday. Words cannot fully express my gratitude to my Savior for sacrificing so much, even His own life, for me.

I just wanted to share a few quotes from the book that I absolutely love:

  • President Gordon B. Hinckley: "When all is said and done, when all of history is examined, when the deepest depths of the human mind have been explored, there is nothing so wonderful, so majestic, so tremendous as this act of grace."
  • President Howard W. Hunter: "As we come to understand [Christ's] mission and the atonement which He wrought, we will desire to live more like Him."
  • "The atoning sacrifice was designed to motivate us, to draw us unto him, to lift us to higher ground, and ultimately to assist us in becoming as he is."
  • C.S. Lewis: "[Christ] has infinite attention to spare for each one of us. He does not have to deal with us in the mass. You are as much alone with Him as if you were the only being He had ever created. When Christ died, He died for you individually just as much as if you had been the only man in the world."
  • "One does not speak lightly of the Atonement or casually express his appreciation. It is the most sacred and sublime event in eternity. It deserves our most intense thoughts, our most profound feelings, and our noblest deeds. One speaks of it in reverential tones;  one contemplates it in awe; one learns of it in solemnity. This even stands alone, now and throughout eternity."

Though I cannot fully comprehend how or why, I am so grateful to Christ for what He suffered in the garden at Gethsemane. I know He loves me, and I know that He understands exactly what I am facing. I am grateful that He was willing to make up the difference in my imperfections to allow me to return to live with my Heavenly Father someday.
My favorite painting depicting Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane: "Oh My Father" by Simon Dewey

In other news, here's what we've been up to this Sunday evening:


Hayley: researching delicious meals via Pinterest while studying Spanish
John: writing a letter
me: just finished refilling meds and about to do another blog post
All while we enjoy some freshly baked cookies.

Have a lovely week! Go jump in a pile of snow or leaves or whatever you have. Just enjoy this happy time of the year outside for a bit.

And [as always] remember to smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment